If you have a disability that prevents you from using The COMET fixed route system, you may qualify for Dial-A-Ride Transit (DART) service.
DART is a curb-to-curb, advance reservation, shared-ride transportation service. There are no restrictions on the purpose or frequency of reservations. Riders going in the same general direction are grouped together to share rides. A fleet of small buses provides DART service. Each is equipped with wheelchair lifts and can accommodate four wheelchairs.
General Hours of Service
|Monday – Friday:||5:30am – 9:00pm|
|Saturday:||5:30am – 8:00pm|
(Areas available for service vary by time of day)
|Monday - Saturday:||9:00am- 5:00pm|
Each one-way trip is $3.00. Tokens can be purchased in advance by calling 803-255-7123. DART can accept only checks and cash.
To qualify for DART service, applicants must be unable to independently access and/or use The COMET fixed route systems. Those who wish to use the DART system can be certified as eligible by completing an application and following the short eligibility review process.
To apply, you may request an application by calling 803-255-7123 or by writing to: DART Application Request, PO Box 214, Columbia, SC 29202. You may also download a copy of the application.
At The COMET, we’re committed to meeting the accessibility needs of our passengers. Our fixed route buses are specially designed to provide access to all passengers. The COMET buses have the ability to kneel, which lowers the first step height at the front door. To use this function, simply ask the driver to activate the kneeling feature when the bus door is opened for you.
The COMET buses are also equipped with hydraulic lifts that allow persons with mobility limitations to board. Passengers using wheelchairs, walkers or crutches, as well as passengers with other mobility limitations, may use the lift by simply notifying the bus driver before boarding the bus.
- The lifts can accommodate mobility devices that meet ADA guidelines
- Each lift is located at the rear doors of the bus
- Wheelchair securing devices are located directly across the aisle from the rear door
- Total weight capacity for a lift is 600 pounds
- If you and your mobility device weigh more than 600 pounds, The COMET buses cannot safely lift you
- Each bus has two restraint devices designed to secure wheelchairs while the bus is in motion
- Seats located over the restraints fold up to allow wheelchairs to be secured
- If you need to use the lift to board the bus, your driver will assist you
- Drivers will also help secure wheelchairs
If you have any questions or concerns regarding ADA related services, please contact our ADA coordinator Jackie Bowers at 803-255-7083 or send an email to customerservice@CatchTheCOMET.org.