Executive Director Position Available with The COMET
The Central Midlands Regional Transit Authority (CMRTA)/dba The COMET is currently seeking candidates for the position of Executive Director/CEO. The COMET keeps the buses, the people and in so many ways, the vibrant pace of The COMET moving. With a new fleet of buses, future service expansion, a growing and ever-increasing ridership, THE COMET needs a dynamic leader who will develop a culture that delivers beyond expectations and holds customer satisfaction above all.
The COMET Executive Director/CEO will have the day-to-day responsibility of managing and directing all aspects of The COMET’s operations in full compliance with directives from The COMET Board of Directors; which also includes the Federal, State, Local laws and regulations/ordinances; The COMET bylaws, and operating agreements with its transit service contractor. The COMET recognizes that its success depends on effective engagement with the board of directors, staff, stakeholders, and the general public. The Executive Director will engage with committed employees to develop a consistent outstanding experience for passengers in the Midlands. The Executive Director will be expected to build upon a foundation of dependability, timeliness, and accuracy that will provide transit service that is efficient, effective, safe, reliable, and comfortable.
The Executive Director will lead an accomplished senior management team to further enhance consumer engagement and champion transit service innovation to utilize new technologies. The Executive Director will be expected to nurture a strong corporate culture to help realize the values of public transit in the Midlands. The value of sustainability and community involvement will be key components to growing a diverse inclusive multicounty system.
It is evident that a dynamic leader with strong leadership skills is needed to move the COMET in a new direction that has been outlined by its Board of Directors and Strategic Plan. The Executive Director will be given great latitude to operate and grow the system with set objectives and benchmarking goals of peer systems. The Executive Director will work closely with the management of the COMET’s contract operator, stakeholders, and the general public to ensure continuous synergy and alignment based upon the direction of the COMET Board of Directors.
Qualifications: A minimum five (5) years professional experience in public transit system with operations, planning, and finance or transit program administration is required; with a Masters’ Degree in transportation and logistics or equivalent. Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major course work in business administration/management; finance, transportation planning; public administration or a related field. A combination of experience, education, and training may be considered. Offers a competitive salary and benefit package.
For a detailed job description and set objectives, go to www.catchthecomet.org under view all posts section or call (803) 255-7081 to receive a copy. To apply, submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: HR@CATCHTHECOMET.ORG Attn: LeRoy DesChamps, 3613 Lucius Road, Columbia, SC 29201. Closing date: November 8, 2017.
THE COMET is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Set Objectives and Pertinent Job Duties
- Develop comprehensive plans, strategies and approaches that will address the COMET various transportation needs.
- Review activities and programs related to dispatching, routing, and tracking system services.
- Plan, organize, and manage the work of staff to ensure that the work is being accomplished in a manner consistent with organizational requirements.
- Ensure that Investigations are conducted to verify and resolve customer service complaints.
- Monitor operations to ensure that staff members comply with administrative policies and procedures, safety rules, union contracts, and government’s regulations.
- Insure that all COMET employees receive annual performance evaluations within established time frames.
- Promote safe work activities and meet with the COMET’s contract operator regularly to ensure that safety audits are being performed and meeting compliance standards.
- Monitor spending to ensure that expenses are consistent with approved budgets.
- Recommend or authorize capital expenditures for acquisition of new equipment or property to ensure growth of the system.
- Prepare policy recommendations for fare increases when necessary.
- Provide strong and aggressive leadership in the pursuit of grants to ensure growth of the system. (No limitations to seeking match money within THE COMET budget. Will be required to share match possibilities with all stakeholders.)
- Develop strong working relationships with staff, Board of Directors, public officials and community leaders.
- Develop communication systems and protocols in order to ensure that information meets the transparency test; and that all stakeholders and the general public have access to accurate and useable information in a timely manner.
- Available to respond to emergency situations during and after work hours.
- Applies transit industry trends and innovations to ensure the COMET system is operating efficiently and always current.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.